Sunday, August 18, 2013

Creating an Aged Patina with Chalk Paint®


There are numerous ways to create an aged and distressed finish on a piece of furniture painted with Chalk Paint®. I talked about one way in an earlier post about Annie's new Wax Paint Technique.

For this project, I have used three products, Chalk Paint®, Soft Wax and High Grit Sandpaper (600 grit) - painting, wiping and distressing to obtain the look of a nice worn patina on this table. 


I first painted the entire mahogany piece in one coat of Chateau Grey, a beautiful neutral color that Annie calls an elegant grey green - the color found in old French woodwork. Don't worry if the color does not completely cover the wood - I will be painting several other colors over this.

Next, I added a second coat in Old White, wiping the paint as I went with a clean soft cloth to take off some of the paint and achieve a bit of distressing. I did not thin the paint with water, but applied it full strength.

After the second coat dried, I then painted a third color, Old Ochre, over it, also wiping it back. Make sure to wipe back while the paint is still wet, so do this in sections. 


After letting all three coats dry, I mixed a little Dark Soft Wax with Clear Soft Wax for a softer brown color. I waxed the entire piece with this mixture and with a little pressure, wiped off the excess so that some of the original paint (Chateau Grey) and wood showed through. I did not need to use any sandpaper to distress, but if you want a more distressed look, give it a try. A little bit of buffing with the high grit sandpaper (600 grit) and a soft cloth and I was through. 

It's that easy! I'll explain the steps further at my next Chalk Paint® Class in Richmond this Tuesday, August 20th. To reserve your spot, please call DéCOR at 804-562-8326.

I still have room in my two hour Chalk Paint® Workshop in Irvington next Saturday, August 24th. For information, click HERE.

P.S. - I am now offering private Chalk Paint® lessons! For more information please click HERE.





Happy Painting!  Rachel


Chalk Paint® and supplies are available at my two shops:
4323 Irvington Rd., Irvington, VA and 
19 S. Belmont Ave. (in the heart of Carytown), Richmond, VA
For directions to either shop, click HERE

To see more tips, tutorials and photos: Paintbrush and Pearls